(WWBT) - Two Henrico restaurants had to throw out some food because of temperature violations, according to health inspection reports. Here's where it happened and what these restaurants did about the problems in this week's NBC12 Restaurant Report.
We begin with Kabuto Japanese House of Steaks at 8052 West Broad Street in Henrico, which had seven critical violations, plus nine non-critical on its last health inspection. The report says soup made the day before had to be thrown out because it was still 53 degrees. The health department requires it to be cooled to 41 degrees in six hours or harmful bacteria can grow.
Also, a wooden sushi rice bowl had mildew. When the inspector returned two days later, the report says everything was corrected except for one non-critical. We left a message for the restaurant manager, but haven't heard back.
UPDATE: We have now heard back from Kabuto's manager, who points out they've been in business for 39 years and says health inspections are very important to them. She says they immediately corrected all violations.
Next up, Shula's American Steakhouse in the Hilton Richmond Hotel and Spa at 12042 West Broad Street in Henrico, which usually does better on health inspections. However, this time, it had five critical violations, plus six non-critical. The inspector told them to have the refrigeration serviced immediately because roast beef wraps in a cooler, and dressing and salsa in prep table were not being kept cold enough. The inspector returned two weeks later and everything had been corrected.
The Hilton Hotel's general manager sent us the following statement:
Taco Bell at 12820 Jefferson Davis Highway in Chesterfield wins this week's NBC12 Hall of Fame Award. It has aced six health inspections over the last two years. This is also the eighth local Taco Bell to win the award.
Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.