Cigarette caused house fire that killed 5 in Chesterfield - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Cigarette caused house fire that killed 5 in Chesterfield

(Source: NBC12) (Source: NBC12)
CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) -

Chesterfield Fire crews say the fire that killed five people, including two children, was caused by a cigarette.

Fire marshals determined the fire was accidental and started in the garage from a discarded cigarette.

Chesterfield Fire was called to the 3400 block of Wicklow Lane around 3:15 a.m. on January 17 and found heavy flames and smoke coming from the garage and house. Chesterfield Fire crews cleared the scene more than 10 hours later.

Ten people live in the Wicklow Lane home. Richie Hunt, his fiancée, and three other people were rescued by firefighters. Hunt said his grandparents Richard and Margaret Hudson, his mother Margie Hunt, his 3-year-old niece Maddie, and his nephew Colton were all killed in the fire. Hunt said baby Colton had just turned one earlier this month.

Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved

Report an Error or Submit a Tip to NBC12

Powered by Frankly