Unexpected Killer: The deadly danger of button batteries - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Unexpected Killer: The deadly danger of button batteries

Brianna Florer,2, died after swallowing a "button" battery. (Source: Florer family) Brianna Florer,2, died after swallowing a "button" battery. (Source: Florer family)
(WTOL/WWBT) -

A nickel-sized "button" battery caused the death of a 2-year-old when it burned a hole through her esophagus and then into a major artery. It's an issue more common than many realize. 

Two-year-old Brianna Florer and her Oklahoma family aren't the only ones who have felt the dangers of button batteries first-hand. In 2001, 3,272 button battery ingestions were reported to U.S. Poison Control Centers and 284 children were injured. 

“Never in my mind would have imagined something like this could happen from one of those batteries or they wouldn't have been there, I assure you,”
Brianna's grandfather, Kent Vice, told WTOL-TV. ?

Read more about the dangers

Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12/WTOL. All rights reserved.

Report an Error or Submit a Tip to NBC12

Powered by Frankly