Law firm worker in Richmond carjacking, shooting now in critical but stable condition

Two Richmond schools are on lockdown as police investigate a bank robbery attempted that led to a police chase and shots fired. (Source: NBC12)
Two Richmond schools are on lockdown as police investigate a bank robbery attempted that led to a police chase and shots fired. (Source: NBC12)

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - A carjacking victim and suspect are both in critical but stable condition after a police chase and shooting in Richmond on Monday afternoon. A Richmond Police officer also suffered minor injuries in the incident.

The BrownGreer law firm in Rocketts Landing confirmed the carjacking victims are employees and officials at the law office extended their thoughts were with the employees.

A man was filling up at the BP gas station at 26th and Main streets in Shockoe Bottom when a suspect pulled out a gun and demanded money, according to Richmond Police Chief Alfred Durham. The suspect then jumped in the back seat of the man's Ford Explorer and ordered the victim and his passenger to drive to a bank and withdraw money.

One of the victims got out of the car at the Bank of America at 11th and Main streets and notified police he was being robbed and held hostage. When police arrived, the suspect ordered the remaining victim to drive, leading police in a pursuit that criss-crossed the City of Richmond from City Stadium to the Northside, into Henrico, before ending in the East End. The slow-speed pursuit lasted about 30 minutes.

Officers were able to deploy spike strips to flatten two of the tires, Chief Durham said. The car struck a parked vehicle at 25th and R streets. As a result, 25th Street was closed for four hours and reopened just before 6 p.m.

The suspect then fired a shot at one of the victims, hitting him in the head. He then fired shots at officers who shot back, hitting him, Chief Durham said. Police have not said how many shots were fired or if the suspect was hit by multiple officers.

Henrico, Richmond and State Police were all called out to the scene. The State Police helicopter circled overhead as officers combed through the evidence and an ambulance left the area with its sirens blaring.

"I have to give credit to the victims. He did the right thing, but unfortunately ended like this and hopefully, our prayers are out to the victim that he survives," Chief Alfred Durham with the Richmond Police Department said.

JEB Stuart and Armstrong High School were on lockdown due to the investigation, according to Richmond school officials. However, Richmond police say the lockdown has since been lifted.

A Richmond police spokesperson said one officer is on administrative leave, which is protocol when there is a police involved shooting.

Charges are expected in the incident, and police have yet to release the identity of the suspect.

Anyone with any information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 780-1000.

Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved