RESTAURANT REPORT: restaurant had to throw out the beans

(WWBT) - Critical violations range from hand washing, to mold, to meat thawing at room temperature at a popular sports bar on its last health inspection. Also, a Mexican restaurant had to throw out their beans. Here's a look at what went wrong and what they did about it in this edition of the Restaurant Report.

Breakers Sports Grille at 9127 West Broad Street in Henrico had six critical violations, plus nine non-critical. The report says an employee didn't wash their hands after changing chemicals in the dish machine, meats were thawing at room temperature, and there was mold in the ice machine. The manager told us by phone that all violations were corrected on the spot. When the inspector returned three weeks later, Breakers had just one critical. They still had to put an advisory about undercooked foods on the menu.

Just down the street at 6623 West Broad in Henrico, Plaza Azteca had four critical violations, plus eight non-critical. The inspector noted that they had to throw out beans made the day before because they still had not cooled to the proper temperature. Cheese dip was not reheated to a high enough temperature. Temperature problems can allow bacteria to grow. The report shows the criticals were corrected during the inspection. The manager told us everything else has since been fixed, too.

We gave the NBC12 Hall of Fame Award to Chicken Box at 3000 3rd Avenue in Richmond. This carry-out chicken restaurant has been acing its health inspections over the last two years.

Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.