RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Richmond 2015 cycling action wraps up for the UCI Road World Championships on Sunday with the Elite Men's Road Race.
The Men begin at 9 a.m. and wraps up at 3:40 p.m. with most of the action will be taking place in downtown, the Fan, Shockoe Bottom, Church Hill and Tobacco Row.
Road Circuit course
The cyclists begin at the University of Richmond through Carytown, north on Boulevard and onto Monument Avenue. The racers take a 180-degree turn at the Jefferson Davis monument on Davis Avenue and then maneuver through the Uptown district and Virginia Commonwealth University. Halfway through the circuit, the race heads down into Shockoe Bottom before following the canal and passing Great Shiplock Park. They continue to Rocketts Landing to the narrow, twisty, cobbled 200-meter climb up to Libby Hill Park in Church Hill. They continue to a climb up 23rd Street before heading through Shockoe Bottom toward the Capitol. They make a 300-meter-long climb up Governor Street then head to the finish at 5th and Broad streets.
Road Circuit course traffic
The race will close several highway ramps:
- The West Broad Street exit off Interstate 95 (Exit 74C) will be closed to both northbound and southbound traffic for the duration of the World Cycling Championships.
- The Franklin Street exit off I-95 south (Exit 74B) will also be closed Sunday until around 4:40 p.m.
The roads around the course will be closed from around 8 a.m. to 4:40 p.m., with some roads re-opening during the afternoon rush hour. Traffic will be allowed to cross the course at:
- Main Street at 6th Street, 7th Street, 8th Street, and 9th Street. Enter downtown from the south at 7th or 9th Street. Exit to the south at 6th or 8th Street.
- Lombardy Street at Grove and Floyd Avenues
- Franklin Street at Harrison Street
- Main Street at Harrison Street
- 15th Street at Cary Street
- 18th Street at Franklin Street
- Broad Street at 21st Street
Parking, shuttles and bus information
Parking is available for $10 per day and includes a free shuttle service. Payment can not be made in cash.
Each lot opens at 7 a.m. and remains open until 5:40 p.m. On Sunday lots are available at City Stadium, the Diamond and the Anthem parking lot at Broad Street and Staples Mill Road. The shuttle will take fans to the various lots and the venue at the Greater Richmond Convention Center.
GRTC offers bus service and is selling a $35 unlimited ride pass for the World Cycling Championships.
Where to Watch
Coverage of the Men's Elite Road Race will air on Universal Sports from 8:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. and on CNBC from noon to 4:30 p.m.
NBC12 will have live reports during 12News at 6 and 11, with the newscasts streaming on the NBC12 News app.
The best place to watch in person will be at the Fan Zones near the start line and near the finish line along Broad Street downtown, at the University of Richmond, near 23rd and Franklin streets and at the bottom of Libby Hill on Main Street. Each will feature a Jumbotron and a beer garden. Inside, check out the FanFest at the Greater Richmond Convention Center from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. It will also have a Jumbotron with live race coverage, a KidZone, vendors and the official award ceremonies.
You can also watch the action from:
- Broad Street between Belvidere and 2nd Streets
- Monroe Park
- Monument Avenue
- Corner of Lombardy and Main Streets
- Virginia Capital Trail on Dock Street
- Main Street Station
- Governor Street
Cloudy and cool. Still chance of rain and some drizzle. Highs in lower 70s. Rain chance 50%.
Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved