RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Richmond 2015 cycling action continues for the UCI Road World Championships on Thursday with a training day on the Road Circuit race.
The training begins at 10 a.m. and wraps up at noon with most of the action taking place in downtown, the Fan, Shockoe Bottom, Church Hill and Tobacco Row.
Road Circuit course
The cyclists begin on Broad Street heading west from downtown, then make their way onto Monument Avenue. The racers take a 180-degree turn at the Jefferson Davis monument on Davis Avenue and then maneuver through the Uptown district and Virginia Commonwealth University. Halfway through the circuit, the race heads down into Shockoe Bottom before following the canal and passing Great Shiplock Park. They continue to Rocketts Landing to the narrow, twisty, cobbled 200-meter climb up to Libby Hill Park in Church Hill. They continue to a climb up 23rd Street before heading through Shockoe Bottom toward the Capitol. They make a 300-meter-long climb up Governor Street then head to the finish at 5th and Broad streets.
Road Circuit course traffic
The race will close several highway ramps:
- The West Broad Street exit off Interstate 95 (Exit 74C) will be closed to both northbound and southbound traffic for the duration of the World Cycling Championships.
- The Franklin Street exit off I-95 south (Exit 74B) will also be closed Thursday until around 1 p.m.
The roads around the course will be closed from around 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Traffic will be allowed to cross the course at:
- Main Street at 6th Street, 7th Street, 8th Street, and 9th Street. Enter downtown from the south at 7th or 9th Street. Exit to the south at 6th or 8th Street.
- Lombardy Street at Grove and Floyd Avenues
- Franklin Street at Harrison Street
- Main Street at Harrison Street
- 15th Street at Cary Street
- 18th Street at Franklin Street
- Broad Street at 21st Street
Parking, shuttles and bus information
There will be no remote parking or shuttle service on Thursday.
GRTC offers bus service and is selling a $35 unlimited ride pass for the World Cycling Championships.
Where to Watch
A pre-taped highlights show will air on Universal Sports from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
NBC12 will have live reports during 12News at 6 and 11, with the newscasts streaming on the NBC12 News app.
The best place to watch in person will be at:
- Broad Street between Belvidere and 2nd Streets
- Monroe Park
- Monument Avenue
- Corner of Lombardy and Main Streets
- Virginia Capital Trail on Dock Street
- Main Street Station
- Governor Street
The weather is expected to be comfortable and clear for the races with temperatures in the 70s.
Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved