RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Richmond 2015 cycling action continues for the UCI Road World Championships on Wednesday with the Elite Men's Individual Time Trial.
The Elite Men Individual Time Trial begins at 1 p.m. at King's Dominion and continues until 3:35 p.m.
Men's Time Trial course
The Elite Men's Individual Time Trial course starts at King's Dominion and heads east on Route 30 and continuing south on Route 2/301 Richmond Turnpike/Hanover Courthouse Road. The cyclists then take Route 651 Georgetown Road and Route 643 Rural Point Road back to Route 2/301. The route then goes down Wilkinson Road and Richmond Henrico Turnpike to Laburnum Avenue, where they head west to Brook Road. Cyclists continue south to N. Lombardy Street before turning east on Franklin Street. The course cuts up Belvidere to Broad Street where the cyclists head east to 2nd Street. They then go down Grace Street past the Capitol, and north up a steep hill on Governor Street before finishing at 5th and Broad streets.
Men's Time Trial course traffic
The race will close several highway ramps:
- The West Broad Street exit off Interstate 95 (Exit 74C) will be closed to both northbound and southbound traffic for the duration of the World Cycling Championships.
- The US-301 VA-2 South Richmond (Exit 41B) ramp from I-295 will be closed on Wednesday until around 4:35 p.m.
The roads around the course will be closed from around noon to 4:35 p.m. Traffic will be allowed to cross the course at:
- Kings Dominion Boulevard/Dawn Boulevard at Doswell Road, Meadow Farm Road, and Signboard Road.
- Richmond Turnpike at Mt. Gideon Road
- Hanover Courthouse Road at Fire House Road and between St. Paul’s Church Road and County Complex Road
- New Ashcake/Rural Point and Chamberlayne Roads
- Chamberlayne Road at Shady Grove Road
- Chamberlayne Road at Atlee Road
- Chamberlayne Road at Diane Lane
- Richmond-Henrico Turnpike for westbound traffic on East Laburnum Avenue.
- East Laburnum Avenue at North Avenue and Pilots Lane
- East Laburnum Avenue at North Avenue and North Chamberlayne Avenue.
- Brook Road at Westwood Avenue, Brookland Parkway, and Overbrook Road
- Brook Road at Overbrook Road
- Lombardy Street at West Leigh Street and West Broad Street
Parking, shuttles and bus information
Parking is available for $10 per day and includes a free shuttle service. Payment can not be made in cash.
Each lot opens at 11 a.m. and remains open until 6:45 p.m. On Wednesday lots are available at City Stadium and the Diamond. The shuttle will take fans to the various lots and the venue at the Greater Richmond Convention Center.
GRTC also offers bus service and is selling a $35 unlimited ride pass for the World Cycling Championships.
Where to Watch
Coverage of the Elite Men's Individual Time Trial begins on Universal Sports from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. and continues on NBC Sports network from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
NBC12 will have live reports during 12News at 6 and 11, with the newscasts streaming on the NBC12 News app.
The best place to watch in person will be at the Fan Zones near the start line and near the finish line along Broad Street downtown, Libby Hill Park and 23rd Street which will feature a Jumbotron and a beer garden. Inside, check out the FanFest at the Greater Richmond Convention Center from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. It will also have a Jumbotron with live race coverage, a KidZone, vendors and the official award ceremonies.
You can also watch the action from Hanover Street Courthouse, Monument Avenue, Monroe Park, Governor Street and 2nd and Main streets.
The weather is expected to be comfortable and clear for the races with temperatures in the 70s.
Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved