RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - In Thursday's "Restaurant Report," one restaurant was written up for flies in the kitchen on their last health inspection. Another was told they had to write a report on how they will safely cool foods.
An inspector noted finding flies in the kitchen at The Hub Grill at 12859 Broad Street Road in Goochland. The report shows it had four critical violations, plus 10 non-critical. An employee said they're installing a screen door to stop the flies. The inspector also noted a bread dessert in the cooler had mold from condensation dripping on the packaging. It was thrown out. Some of the other violations were corrected on during the inspection.
At La Cabana, 4086 Crockett Street in Richmond, the inspector wrote it had several critical violations that need attention. It had four critical, plus nine non-critical violations. The report says carnitas were not reheated to a sufficient time or temperature to eliminate bacteria, so they were reheated in the microwave. The report also notes soup was not adequately cooled, so it was thrown out. The inspector wrote that cooling has been an issue for some time here and told staff to write a plan of action on how they'll cool foods moving forward.
The health department requires hot foods to be cooled down to 70 degrees in 2 hours, and 41 degrees in 6 hours to prevent bacteria growth. If it takes longer than that, it's sitting too long in the danger zone.
Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.