Man dies from injuries in Hopewell house fire

Man dies from injuries in Hopewell house fire

HOPEWELL, VA (WWBT) - A man injured in a Hopewell house fire on Wednesday has died from his injuries, according to the fire department.

Hopewell Fire Chief Donny Hunter confirmed the death on Friday and said the other victim, a woman, is still fighting for her life. The man's identity is not yet being released.

Both victims were rushed to the hospital following the fire in the 100 block of S. 16th Ave. on Wednesday afternoon. Firefighters pulled the pair from the burning home, with the man badly burned and the  woman suffering from smoke inhalation, according to Chief Hunter. Crews searched frantically for a third resident, who was later discovered to have left an hour before the fire started.

Firefighters were also frantically looking for Ronnie Elmore, who was believed to be inside. It turns out he had left just about an hour before the fire.

Investigators believe the fire was accidental, and may have started in the bedroom. Investigators found several cigarette butts in the bed, and think smoking in bed may have sparked the blaze.

The home was being used as a 5-unit apartment, with the man and woman living in the basement.

Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved