Fredericksburg Police arrest 15-year-old after fatal double stabbing

Fredericksburg Police arrest 15-year-old after fatal double stabbing

FREDERICKSBURG, VA (WWBT) - A 15-year-old charged with two counts of first-degree murder will be in court later this week, accused of stabbing to death two men outside a Fredericksburg restaurant.

The confrontation unfolded outside of a Cook Out following a night of partying early Sunday morning, and left a third man in the hospital. Police say several men were leaving a birthday celebration, headed to the fast food restaurant where a group of teenagers they did not know was waiting, looking to start a fight.

"Tragic. Shocking," said Brianna Ashton and Ariane Shipes.

They were just leaving the Cook Out restaurant Monday when both described being startled by the news.

"I think it's crazy because it's so close. We come here almost every day," Ashton said.

Monday, police said a teen was behind the triple stabbing that rushed three men to the hospital just after 2 a.m. Sunday. Investigators say Anthony Carter, 28, was leaving a bar with Mac Hughes, 30, and another friend. Shortly afterward, an officer on the scene had to jump into action.

"One of my officers was actually approached by a man who was bleeding heavily and said that he had just been stabbed," said Natatia Bledsoe with Fredericksburg Police.

Investigators approached the Cook Out restaurant only to find two more men suffering from stab wounds. Carter and Hughes died at the hospital.

Their friend is in serious condition.

"People are talking about it," said Erika Coleman who works at Two Times New shop in the same plaza as the bar, just across from Cook Out.

"Where are the parents? What are they doing? Why is their 15-year-old out that late at night?" she wondered.

Hours after the crime, officers say an adult relative took the teen to the police department to turn himself in. Now more information is surfacing about the only victim to survive the attack.

"It was his birthday that was being celebrated at Jay's Lounge that night. It's a very unfortunate way to end his evening for sure losing two of his good friends," Bledsoe said.

That victim actually suffered the most stab wounds according to investigators and he survived. One of the men who died had only been stabbed once.

More people could face assault charges as the investigation continues.

Police want anyone with information to call Det. Alexandra Cameron at 540-654-5778.

Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved