Henrico FD: Godwin HS fire caused minor smoke damage - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Henrico FD: Godwin HS fire caused minor smoke damage

Photo from Twitter Photo from Twitter
Photo from Twitter Photo from Twitter
HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - Henrico Fire authorities said Monday that a vent fan in the ceiling at Mills E. Godwin High School caught fire, which caused smoke to fill the hallways and force the school to be evacuated.

First arriving units reported smoke in the hallway near the entrance of the school. All students and faculty evacuated the building efficiently.

The source of the smoke was determined to have come from a heating unit in the ceiling. The Fire Marshal's Office determined that the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction to the fan motor of a ceiling-based heater unit.

No injuries were reported as a result of the incident. Authorities noted minor smoke damage to the ceiling where the vent fan was located. Crews initially cut power to the school, but restored it later Monday evening.

Fire crews have the area closed off while they continue investigating at the scene. Godwin will be open for classes on Tuesday.

Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly