RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - The CDC says five people have become infected with listeriosis, three of whom have died, and the cases are linked to Blue Bell ice cream.
, five people in Kansas were reported infected.
"All five people were hospitalized at the same hospital for unrelated problems before developing invasive listeriosis...Of the four ill people for whom information is available on the foods eaten in the month before Listeria infection, all four consumed milkshakes made with a single-serving Blue Bell brand ice cream product called 'Scoops' while they were in the hospital."
Bluebell posted the following announcement on their website:
For the first time in 108 years, Blue Bell announces a product recall.
One of our machines produced a limited amount of frozen snacks with a potential listeria problem.
When this was detected all products produced by this machine were withdrawn. Our Blue Bell team members recovered all involved products in stores and storage.
This withdrawal in no way includes our half gallons, quarts, pints, cups, three gallon ice cream or take-home frozen snack novelties.
For more information call 979-836-7977, Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. CST
The CDC says Blue Bell brand ice cream products Scoops, Chocolate Chip Country Cookie Sandwiches, and Great Divide Bars tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes. While Blue Bell has removed these products from stores, the contaminated ice cream products may still be in the freezers of consumers, institutions, and retailers.