CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - A family of five is looking for a new place to stay after a fire ripped through their home.
The fire started at 2 a.m. Thursday. A window at the front of the house is boarded up. A little earlier, plastic hung where the glass once was. Some of the family's possessions were moved to the front yard, but the good news is everyone got out safely. Two adults, three children and two dogs were all able to escape without injury.
According the fire department, the fire started in the chimney.
Neighbor Elisa Cartier says that when the fire broke out, the woman living in the home ran over to her house to report that the fire was happening, concerned all the time that it could spread.
"The woman came over even before the fire department had got here, and was ringing the door bell," Cartier said. "My son-in-law heard it, and we got up and we were so thankful that she notified us. She cared for us as well as her own family."
The family can't be in the house right now and will need to find another place to live, but neighbors said they are staying with other family members.