RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - More than 100 people were evacuated from the Hopper Lofts following a gas leak that also shut down E. Commerce Road between Maury and Everett streets early Tuesday.
The leak was reported around 3 a.m., prompting street closures and forcing residents out of their homes for more than six hours.
The fire department and the department of public utilities were on the scene for several hours identifying the location of the leak and repairing it.
The gas levels inside the Hoppers Loft apartments were so high that it was not safe for residents to be inside. Many of them found shelter inside their cars other waited in ambulances that were brought to the scene to help keep people warm.
Many residents say they were inconvenienced but feel it's better to be safe than sorry.