Discarded ashes spark fire at Henrico apartment - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

BREAKING

Discarded ashes spark fire at Henrico apartment

Crews responded to a fire at the Tuckernuck Trail apartments on Thanksgiving morning. (Source: Henrico Fire Dept.) Crews responded to a fire at the Tuckernuck Trail apartments on Thanksgiving morning. (Source: Henrico Fire Dept.)
HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - A fire at a Henrico apartment complex on Thanksgiving morning displaced two people, according to officials.

The fire started at the Tuckernuck Trail apartments at 8:18 a.m. on St Martins Trail in the county's West End. Crews saw smoke coming from the rear of the building and found fire coming from the chimney structure that rose through the attic of the apartment.

Crews were able to put the fire out quickly and keep it from spreading. The two men who lived in the apartment will have to find a new place to stay. People in nearby apartments got out safely, though some of the lower apartments suffered water damage.

Its safe to say Lucas Roark and Zack Ortwine narrowly escaped death this Thanksgiving morning. They woke up to the sound of a raging inferno inside their apartment.

"That isolation started burning and I think that was the scent that woke us up," Lucas Roark said.

Typically they sleep in their bedrooms but last night they both passed out on the couch. Lucas says it was that small difference in their routine that saved their lives.

"When I looked in their and saw how charred everything is I realized the oven that we were sitting on top of. I'm very thankful that we woke up and God let us pass out in the living room," Roark said.

Zach and Lucas were not the only people impacted by this fire. Steven Miller and his family live in the building across from where it started.

"We had gotten a knock on the door telling us there was a fire and we needed to get out." Its heart breaking but this is materialistic stuff so still be thankful that no one got hurt no one was injured," Steven Miller said.

Both Lucas and Zach echo those sentiments and look to the positive side of things. They won't show up empty handed for Thanksgiving dinner.

"Our fridge didn't get ruined so we still have our potluck in there to take with us.," Roark said.

Officials believe the fire was an accident and think it started on the exterior of the chimney when ashes from a fire in the fireplace were dumped outside against the wood structure of the chimney stack.

Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly