VIDEO: 4 Clover Hill HS students face gang, assault charges in fight

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - Video shows a fight at Clover Hill High School which led to four students facing gang and assault charges Tuesday morning.A School Resource Officer used a stun gun to break up the fight which involved at least a dozen students, according to police.

Police say at one point, the fight was so out of control one of the teens was Tased, as well as a school maintenance worker who had been trying to break up the fight.

Police say the two groups of students were involved in a dispute on social media prior to the fight. When they arrived at school between 7 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. the fight began in the commons area. Administrators and the School Resource Officer tried to break it up, but two students continued to attack a third. The SRO was able to end the altercation by using his stun gun on one of the boys.

"They failed to comply with his order at that time, he found a couple of juvenile that were assaulting one of them," explains Chesterfield County Police Department Captain Mike Louth describing the scene.  "And, at that time he deployed his taser and tased one of the individuals involved in the altercation. The activity then stopped."

Four students were taken into custody and charged. Two 17-year-old boys and a 16-year-old boy were charged with assault, gang participation and gang activity in a gang-free school zone. One of the 17-year-olds also faces an additional charge of possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and unlawful possession of alcohol. A 15-year-old girl was also charged with a single count of assault.

Chesterfield County Police say this is the first time a school resource officer has had to use a Taser on a student and defends those actions.

Says Captain Louth, "Given the circumstances, in very close quarters, it was a very appropriate use of force."

All four are currently being held at the Chesterfield County Juvenile Detention home and could face additional charges. No one was badly injured, police said.

The principal called and emailed parents to let them know about the incident, a school spokesperson said. Students arrived in their first period classes early and several police units were at the school to ensure safety. School officials say no weapons were involved, the school was not placed on lockdown and school operations are now back to normal.

Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved