Delvin Barnes appears in Philadelphia court

An initial appearance was held for Delvin Barnes on Wednesday at Federal Court in Philadelphia. (Source: NBC12)
An initial appearance was held for Delvin Barnes on Wednesday at Federal Court in Philadelphia. (Source: NBC12)

PHILADELPHIA, PA (WWBT) - The suspect in violent abductions in Richmond and Philadelphia faced a federal court judge in Pennsylvania for the first time Wednesday. Delvin Barnes will remain behind bars at least until his next detention hearing Friday.

Barnes did not have to say whether he would be pleading guilty or not guilty to the federal abduction and kidnapping charge he's facing. This court appearance was brief and lasted only about five minutes.

Dressed in the traditional green jumpsuit and restrained with handcuffs, Barnes was escorted into the courtroom by a U.S. Marshal.

“You've been charged in a criminal complaint with knowingly and unlawfully abducting and kidnapping a victim and transporting her in interstate commerce,” Judge Jacob Hart told him.

Barnes is accused of abducting Carlesha Freeland-Gaither from a Philadelphia street on November 2 and taking her to Maryland, where authorities eventually rescued her with the help of Charles City County sheriffs.

Click here for full coverage:

Unlike the biting words Barnes had for NBC12's cameras when he was brought to Virginia, in federal court Wednesday, Barnes, 37, only said “court to appoint counsel,” when asked if he would hire an attorney or wanted one appointed.

Judge Hart said because of the amount of money Barnes makes a month and his outstanding debts, he is eligible for that federal defender.

Defense attorney Nina Spizer was only told of the case ten minutes before she was appointed. Reporters asked if the intense media attention was a concern for Barnes.

“I have no comment on that yet,” Spizer said. “Let's see how fair it is.”

On the other side, the assistant U.S. Attorney prosecuting the case did not stop to talk to the media after the hearing.

"I'm just not going to comment at this time,” Jeanine Linehan said as she walked past the crowd. “This is an ongoing investigation.”

The family of the victim in this case was not at the hearing Wednesday.

Barnes is next expected in court on Friday, when a judge will hear arguments if he should remain in custody throughout his trial.

Also, there's no word on when Barnes will be returned to Central Virginia to face the charges here Authorities say the federal prosecution will proceed first. In Virginia, he is facing charges in the kidnapping of a 16-year-old Richmond girl in October. She managed to escape after two days.

Copyright 2014 WWBT

. All rights reserved