Sheriff looking for more possible victims linked to Delvin Barnes

CHARLES CITY, VA (WWBT) - A Richmond teen told authorities Delvin Barnes showed her pictures of women he said were other victims, leading authorities to review other unsolved missing persons cases.

Charles City County Sheriff Javier Smith is asking other jurisdictions to look for any other similar cases which could be tied to the man accused of abducting the Richmond 16-year-old and Carlesha Freeland-Gaither from a Philadelphia street. While the Richmond victim told deputies Barnes showed her photos of other women he claimed were victims, authorities are still trying to determine whether the photos were authentic or just an intimidation tactic. There are no other missing persons cases in Charles City, according to Sheriff Smith, but he is asking other jurisdictions to review their files

Barnes is expected to be back in Virginia by Saturday to face charges in the abduction and rape of a 16-year-old Richmond girl. He waived extradition in a Towson, MD court Thursday afternoon and is being held without bond until he is picked up by Virginia authorities. Barnes also is expected to face charges in the abduction of Freeland-Gaither who was found alive in his car Wednesday upon his arrested in Jessup, MD, according to investigators.

Sheriff Smith doesn't believe the Richmond and Philadelphia cases are connected, saying both are crimes of opportunity. The Richmond teen was picked up by Barnes between Richmond and Charles City on Oct. 1, according to Smith. Barnes allegedly hit the teen in the head with a shovel, forced her into the trunk of his car, and brought her back to his Charles City County home where deputies say he forced her to take off her clothes, which he then burned. He raped her, poured bleach and gasoline on her, and began digging a hole. Sheriff Smith believes the hole was meant to be the girl's grave, but he says she managed to run to safety while Barnes was momentarily distracted.

The girl ran naked for two miles down the road to the Stock Building Supply company where she was found on Oct. 3. She was taken by helicopter to VCU Medical Center where she is still recovering, according to authorities. DNA tests on the girl came back on Oct. 28 pointed to Barnes as the suspect.

Barnes is now charged with attempted capital murder, forcible rape, malicious wounding, malicious wounding with a chemical substance, inanimate object penetration and abduction in the case. Charles City County Sheriff's deputies noticed the car they were looking for in the case matched the description of the car linked to the suspect in the abduction of 22-year-old Freeland-Gaither in Philadelphia, Captain Jayson Crawley said. They used the car's GPS device to track his exact location in Baltimore. Barnes was arrested on Wednesday in Jessup, MD and Carlesha Freeland-Gaither was found alive in his car, according to investigators.

"That's not my son as we know him," said Barnes' father. "We just wish a speedy recovery. We hope they can forgive our son and move on with their lives."

Barnes was just released form prison less than a year ago. He served eight years in Pennsylvania on an aggravated assault charge tied to a 2005 rape. Pennsylvania transferred his active supervised probation to Williamsburg Probation and Parole. He was arrested in Richmond in July after he was accused of threatening to shoot or blow up the Walmart on Sheila lane. Prosecutors later changed the charge to trespassing and it was later dismissed.

Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.