Richmond, Philadelphia abduction suspect headed back to Va.

TOWSON, MD (WWBT) - A man in the national spotlight after the abduction of a woman off the streets of Philadelphia is headed back to Virginia to face charges in a brutal rape case.

Delvin Barnes waived extradition in a Towson, MD court Thursday afternoon on six charges tied to the abduction and rape of a 16-year-old Richmond girl last month. He will be held without bond until he is picked up by Virginia authorities by Saturday, according to Charles City County sheriffs.

Barnes allegedly hit the teen in the head with a shovel, forced her into the trunk of his car, and brought her back to his Charles City County home on Oct. 1 where deputies say he raped her, poured bleach and gasoline on her, and then burned her clothes. The girl managed to escape and run two miles down the road to the Stock Building Supply company where she was found on Oct. 3 and taken by helicopter to VCU Medical Center where she is still recovering, according to authorities. DNA tests on the girl came back on Oct. 28 pointed to Barnes as the suspect.

Barnes is now charged with attempted capital murder, forcible rape, malicious wounding, malicious wounding with a chemical substance, inanimate object penetration and abduction in the case. Charles City County Sheriff's deputies noticed the car they were looking for in the case matched the description of the car linked to the suspect in the abduction of 22-year-old Carlesha Freeland-Gaither in Philadelphia, Captain Jayson Crawley said. They used the car's GPS device to track his exact location in Baltimore. Barnes was arrested on Wednesday in Jessup, MD and Carlesha Freeland-Gaither was found alive in his car, according to investigators.

"That's not my son as we know him," said Barnes' father. "We just wish a speedy recovery. We hope they can forgive our son and move on with their lives."

Barnes was just released form prison less than a year ago. He served eight years in Pennsylvania on an aggravated assault charge tied to a 2005 rape. Pennsylvania transferred his active supervised probation to Williamsburg Probation and Parole. He was arrested in Richmond in July after he was accused of threatening to shoot or blow up the Walmart on Sheila lane. Prosecutors later changed the charge to trespassing and it was later dismissed.

Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.