RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Here is the latest NBC12/ WHAN Radio High School Football Top 10 poll for this week. The poll is released every Tuesday during the season.
1) Highland Springs (9-0, was #1)- The Springers made a statement with their 65-37 over Atlee this past Friday. That marked their highest point output of the season, a surprising result considering the opponent. Highland Springs looks for a perfect 10-0 regular season on Friday when it travels to Varina.
2) Hermitage (9-0, was #2)- A 36-6 win over John Marshall kept Herm unblemished in the loss column, as the Panthers search for a perfect season. Starting quarterback Rashad Robinson returned and saw some action in the victory, and running back Johntae Wilson continues to impress. Only 3-6 J.R. Tucker stands between Hermitage and that tenth win.
3) Manchester (9-0, was #3)- No problems for the Lancers against James River last week, as they cruised to the 41-13 win. It's the best start for Manchester in modern history at 9-0, and they can clinch their first ever 10-0 regular season with a win on Friday. Standing in the Lancers' way... two-time defending state champion L.C. Bird.
4) L.C. Bird (8-1, was #4)- The Skyhawks have bounced back nicely since their loss to Lake Taylor, rattling off four straight wins. To be fair, Bird should have been able to handle three of the four teams with relative ease, which it did, most recently a 54-3 victory at Clover Hill. The 60-0 win over Cosby two weeks ago certainly told us a lot about where this team stands. The Skyhawks travel to Manchester on Friday for their toughest district match-up of the year.
5) Thomas Dale (7-2, was #6)- The Knights' seventh straight win was probably their most impressive of the season, as they picked up a road win at Dinwiddie, 20-13. Dale's defense was gritty, forcing a fumble deep in its own territory late in the game. As they fight for the number two spot in 6A South, the Knights go up against Matoaca to close out the regular season, a team that upset them last season.
6) Benedictine (8-2, was #8)- The Cadets capped off their regular season with a win against Liberty Christian, and go into the VISAA Division I playoffs as the favorites to win the state title. Benedictine will face St. Christopher's in the state semifinals on Saturday afternoon, a team the Cadets beat, 23-17, during the regular season.
7) Atlee (7-2, was #5)- In a somewhat surprising showing, the Raiders gave up 65 points in a loss to Highland Springs this past week, just their second defeat of the year. Linebacker Ricky DeBerry dislocated his shoulder in the loss, but is not expected to be sidelined for an extended period of time. Atlee will face Lee-Davis to close out its regular season and could still grab a home first round playoff game with some help.
8) Monacan (7-2, was #9)- The Chiefs took care of Midlothian to improve to 7-2 and keep their strong season going. They'll travel to Cosby for their regular season finale and can lock up their first eight win season of the century by knocking off the Titans.
9) Hanover (6-3, was #10)- The Hawks have turned into one of the areas hottest team since the return of starting quarterback Clayton Cheatham, most recently knocking off Varina 24-19. Hanover has rebounded from a three game losing streak that put it at 3-3 earlier in the season and can close strong with a victory over Glen Allen this Friday.
10) Powhatan (8-1. was NR)- Powhatan makes its first appearance in our rankings this season. The Indians posted an impressive 53-16 win over Western Albemarle this past Friday. Running back Logan Allen has been fueling the team's success. The Indians go for their eighth straight win on Friday when Charlottesville visits.
Dropped Out- Dinwiddie
Receiving Votes- Dinwiddie, Henrico