RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Here is the latest NBC12/ WHAN Radio High School Football Top 10 poll, released every Tuesday during the high school football season:
1) Hermitage (7-0, was #1)- The Panthers fell behind to Douglas Freeman, then rattled off 42 unanswered points in a 42-7 win. Herm's toughest remaining game appears to be this Friday's match-up with Mills Godwin.
2) Highland Springs (7-0, was #2)- The Springers jumped out to a big lead and went on to top Lee-Davis, 34-19. Wide receiver Felton Davis returned to action after missing three games with a back injury, as Loren Johnson and company gear up for the final push against Henrico, Atlee and Varina. Highland Springs visits the Warriors this Saturday.
3) Manchester (7-0, was #3)- Manchester posted an impressive 26-0 win over rival Cosby, but the victory came at a cost. The Lancers' offense took a big blow with the loss of running back Justin Pendergrass, who is presumably done for the year with a fractured fibula. Still, Tom Hall has plenty of weapons on that side of the ball, some he'll hope to get good looks at against George Wythe this Friday.
4) L.C. Bird (6-1, was #4)- Huguenot was no match for Bird, as the Skyhawks ran away with a 49-0 victory. Their competition jumps up a notch this Friday when they'll get a visit from Cosby, which has lost two in a row. The Titans have played Bird tough in two of the last three meetings, with last year's 35-0 score being the exception.
5) Thomas Dale (5-2, was #6)- The Knights move into the top five for the first time this season after dispatching Colonial Heights, 41-0. Dale has now won five straight games, after losing two heart-breakers to open the season. Things are only looking up for Kevin Tucker's team, as he expects to start getting some injured offensive linemen back in the mix in the near future, making the Knights a dangerous team down the stretch. They'll host Petersburg this Friday.
6) Atlee (6-1, was #7)- The Raiders rocked Glen Allen, 45-14, to win their third consecutive contests. Roscoe Johnson's club has caught fire since suffering its only loss at Henrico, posting at least 40 points its last two times out. Friday the Raiders host surprising Armstrong, which has lost two in a row despite a hot start.
7) Henrico (6-1, was #5)- The Warriors' loss column took its first hit last Friday with a 28-27 defeat at Varina. Henrico had a chance to win at the end after recovering an onside kick, but the Blue Devil defense held. Now the Warriors look to get back on track against Highland Springs this Saturday at home.
8) Dinwiddie (6-1, was #10)- It could have been a totally different story for the Generals, who found themselves on the ropes against Matoaca last week. A late score pushed Dinwiddie ahead for good to give them a 28-24 win, easily the team's toughest test and closest call since its season-opening loss to Monacan. Billy Mills and company head to Hopewell this Friday.
9) Benedictine (6-2, was NR)- It's the first appearance in our rankings for the Cadets, who move into the poll despite a 10-0 loss at Woodberry Forest this past weekend. Still, Benedictine is ranked number one in VISAA Division I. Only two regular season games remain for the Cadets. They'll visit Fork Union this Saturday.
10) Monacan (5-2, was NR)- The Chiefs were off last week, but move back into the poll after a short hiatus. Monacan won two games it should have over George Wythe and Huguenot most recently, outscoring those teams by a combined 103-0. Jim Henderson's team gets back to work this Friday, hosting Clover Hill.
Dropped out: Armstrong (5-2), Cosby (5-2)