Kickers need overtime to beat Charleston in quarterfinals

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - In a match that took the full 90 minutes plus 30 minutes of extra time, it would be Richmond's Matthew Delicâte scoring in extra time to give the Kickers the 2-1 win at City Stadium in the USL PRO quarterfinals Saturday evening.

Richmond opened the scoring early in the first half after a foul in the Charleston defensive third provided the Kickers with a set-piece opportunity.

In the 11th minute, Kickers defender Sascha Görres took the free kick just outside the 18-yard box. The shot made its way through a wall of defenders and challenged Charleston goalkeeper Odisnel Cooper.

Cooper was able to make the first save but the rebound came back out into the penalty box, finding Richmond midfielder Collin Martin, who was able to first-time the shot into the back of the net, giving the home side the early 1-0 lead.

Charleston's Zach Prince had a chance just before the halfway point of the opening half. During the 22nd minute, Prince took a powerful shot just outside the Richmond penalty box but goalkeeper Ryan Taylor was just as strong in goal, making the glove save and negating the chance.

Taylor continued to make saves throughout the first half, including a 33rd minute save where Taylor came off his line and made a diving play on an incoming Charleston shot and, only moments later, leaping to make a second save off the rebound opportunity.

In the second half, Charleston was able to level the game thanks to a quick shot by forward Dane Kelly. In the 64th minute, Kelly found the ball at the top of the Richmond penalty box and fired off a shot, which cleanly found its way by Richmond's goalkeeper and gave the Battery their first goal of the night.

Chances went both ways for Richmond and Charleston but the Kickers were able to sustain their attack and fire several dangerous chances toward the Battery goal in the final minute of the second half and stoppage time. With neither club breaking the 1-1 tie, the match moved into extra time.

Entering the first half of extra time, Charleston defender Quinton Griffith fired a shot on goal but the crossbar would stop it, deflecting it up and out of the zone. Later, forward Haviel Cordoves took a shot on the run at the top of the 18-yard box but it sailed wide of the left post, ending the scoring threat.

A late substitution by Richmond bringing Matthew Delicâte on provided a spark to the Kickers' offense during the second half of extra time. In the 117th minute, Delicate was able to take a Juan Arbelaez pass on his first touch and send it into the back of the net, pushing the Kickers to a one-goal lead with less than five minutes remaining.

Charleston tried to level the match in the closing moments but Richmond was able to hang on and preserve the 2-1 win over the Battery.

Richmond will now host the Harrisburg City Islanders in the USL PRO Semifinals on Saturday September 20 at 7:00 p.m. at Richmond City Stadium.

Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.