Henrico crash power outage leads to Carbon monoxide scare - NBC12 - Richmond, VA News

Henrico crash power outage leads to Carbon monoxide scare

Posted: Updated:
HENRICO, VA (WWBT) -

An accident that knocked out power to parts of Eastern Henrico inadvertently causes a Carbon monoxide scare at a nearby restaurant.

Crews responded Saturday morning to the China House restaurant in the 4700 block of Nine Mile Road for the smell of gas. We are told a a generator was running inside of the closed business to power its coolers and keep food cold after and accident at the intersection of Laburnum Avenue and Nine Mile Road damaged a power pole and lines in the area.

Once units access were able to enter the restaurant they say carbon monoxide readings were in the 700-800 parts per million range. Units were on scene for several hours ventilating the affected businesses in order to reduce the CO levels to a safe range.

The scene has been turned over to the health department to ensure food safety.

Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved

Powered by WorldNow