After agonizing wait, body pulled from canal not missing man - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

After agonizing wait, body pulled from canal not missing Richmond man


A family's agonizing wait continued past a dramatic morning Thursday, after Richmond police announced a body found hours earlier in the Kanawha Canal was not of missing 24-year-old Randall Collins.

A planned search Thursday stopped shortly after 8:30 a.m., when teams on Dock Street spotted the top of a head in the Canal.

Collins was last seen leaving the Canal Club on 17th Street during the early morning hours of April 6. The Club is three blocks from Thursday's search site, the fifth search attempt since family members reported Collins missing last month.

Richmond Police said it was too early to tell who exactly officers found in the Canal, with a positive identification of the body still pending.

In an interview Thursday, Collins' sister said no one deserves to live with the misery her family now faces, with no new leads as to where her brother may be.

"Nobody deserves to be, simply gone," said Deondra Collins. "Everybody deserves the best, no matter what you do in life."

The Norfolk Police Department's Harbor Patrol assisted the search effort, lending sophisticated side scan sonar equipment during Thursday's investigation.

Teams found the body before the any device was put in the water. A full scan of the Canal resumed after officers removed the body, with no results.

Collins last saw her brother the night he disappeared, when he asked her to dance with him at the Canal Club.

"He literally begged me to go with him, but I said I had to watch my kids," Collins said. "I haven't seen him since.

Richmond Police confirmed no evidence of foul play has been found in the case. Collins occasionally had difficulties with seizures, and took medication to control them. Police are not ruling out the possibility the man's seizures may have played a role in his disappearance.

"He was just understanding, about everything," said Collins. "He just, he loved everybody no matter what happened, what went on. He just always understood."

A blood hound traced Collins' scent in late April yards away from Thursday's search site. For now, the Collins family holds on to memories of their missing loved one, as the wait continues.

"I could be mad at him for anything and he'd try to make me laugh," Collins said. "I love him. And I just wished for the best."

Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved

Powered by Frankly