Teen appears in court on charges of killing 8-year-old Marty Cobb

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - There were some heated moments outside a Richmond court Monday after a hearing in the case of the eight-year-old who died while saving his sister from a sexual assault. The teen accused of attacking Marty Cobb and his sister appeared in court for his arraignment Monday morning.

Click here for full #PrayersForMarty coverage: http://nbc12.com/marty

Those heated moments came as reporters met the 16-year-old suspect's family after his hearing. The family did not want to give the media their side of the story after the hearing and hesitated when responding to questions about any message they want to send to the grieving community or Marty Cobb's family.

"I've already talked to the family," the 16-year-old's mother said.

Click here to leave your thoughts for Marty: http://bit.ly/1kFK92b

We are learning more about her son from the order, which closed Monday's hearing.  The clerk of the Juvenile and Domestic Relations explains while the defendant is old enough to have an open hearing, the judge is allowed to close it because the teen has "not been adjudicated delinquent of a felony."

The counts he is facing now are felonies. Police have charged the 16-year-old with murder in the death of Marty Cobb and strangulation in the assault of his sister.

The children's mother released more details Monday about exactly what went down on Brandon Road Thursday night. Sharain Spruill says the 16-year-old attacker is the one who actually carried the bloodied girl home and she was crying when she broke the horrific news that her little brother had been killed.  According to Spruill, the teen suspect blamed someone else for what happened and told her it was a white man.

Click here for info on a fund for Marty's family: http://bit.ly/1kFKgur

That partly explains the original suspect description police released. At this point, though, authorities are not saying much else. The prosecutor added Monday, another hearing is scheduled for May 20th, but it is not the typical evidentiary hearing. She calls this a "pretty fragile situation."

Prosecutors also say they are possibly expecting more charges to be placed and we should know more information about that before the next hearing.

The defendant is still in custody at the city's juvenile detention center. 

Hundreds came out to a vigil for Marty on Saturday. City leaders, community activists, and school representatives called unity in the community.

Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.