CONSUMER ALERT: BBB warns of scam targeting Netflix users - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

CONSUMER ALERT: BBB warns of scam targeting Netflix users

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

The Better Business Bureau is warning consumers of a phishing scam that targets Netflix subscribers.

Users who are targeted will be led to a phony webpage that may resemble the Netflix login page. The Netflix users will enter their account information, and the fake website will claim that the user's account has been suspended.

A fake customer service number is provided and a "representative" recommends the user download the "Netflix support software," which is remote login software that gives the fake representative full access to the user's account.

There are three indicators consumers should look for that show an email involved in this scam is not from Netflix. First, the phone number is not Netflix. Instead, the number belongs to a call center in India.

Second, the webpage is a popup.

Third, the "representative" wants to login to your computer via remote software.

Here are some tips from the Better Business Bureau to avoid this scam and others like it:

  • Never let someone login to your computer remotely. When another person logs in, he/she can do anything you can do on your computer. That person can access anything, including personal and financial information.
  • Do not click links in emails. It is better to type the address in the search bar manually.
  • If the URL seems odd, do not continue to go to the site. If it is a scam, it will most likely have an unusual URL. It will likely contain a common name but be accompanied by some jumbled letters or numbers.
  • Go to the company's website to verify a phone number. If you need to call a company, look it up on the company's official website. You make sure you are calling a legitimate number.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • Latest news from NBC12.comNEWSMore>>

  • Better late than never? Library book returned 78 years later

    Better late than never? Library book returned 78 years later

    Thursday, September 21 2017 7:51 PM EDT2017-09-21 23:51:20 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 1:19 PM EDT2017-09-23 17:19:48 GMT

    A book borrowed nearly 80 years ago during the Great Depression has been returned to a Massachusetts public library.

    More >>

    A book borrowed nearly 80 years ago during the Great Depression has been returned to a Massachusetts public library.

    More >>
  • Federal government notifies 21 states of election hacking

    Federal government notifies 21 states of election hacking

    Friday, September 22 2017 5:16 PM EDT2017-09-22 21:16:26 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 12:38 PM EDT2017-09-23 16:38:13 GMT
    The federal government is telling election officials in 21 states that hackers targeted their systems last year, although in most cases the systems were not breached.More >>
    The federal government is telling election officials in 21 states that hackers targeted their systems last year, although in most cases the systems were not breached.More >>
  • Disputanta couple severely injured in house fire

    Disputanta couple severely injured in house fire

    Saturday, September 23 2017 12:04 PM EDT2017-09-23 16:04:42 GMT
    A couple is recovering in the hospital, after being seriously hurt in a house fire in Disputanta. Crews got the call around 1:45 a.m. Saturday. When they got to the home in the 13000 block of Arwood Road, the two residents were outside, after managing to escape the flames. Prince George Fire officials say the couple suffered severe burns and smoke inhalation, and were transported to VCU Medical Center. Firefighters say they were able to quickly extinguish the blaze. Investigators...More >>
    A couple is recovering in the hospital, after being seriously hurt in a house fire in Disputanta. Crews got the call around 1:45 a.m. Saturday. When they got to the home in the 13000 block of Arwood Road, the two residents were outside, after managing to escape the flames. Prince George Fire officials say the couple suffered severe burns and smoke inhalation, and were transported to VCU Medical Center. Firefighters say they were able to quickly extinguish the blaze. Investigators...More >>
Powered by Frankly