The Black History Museum and Cultural Center of Virginia has
been a Richmond landmark since 1981. The museum seeks to take a giant step
forward when it moves from its current location on Clay Street to it's soon to
be renovated new home at the landmark Leigh Street Armory in historic Jackson
Ward of Richmond.
Dominion Resources responded to the call for fundraising
with a $500,000 commitment to the museum's Bold Vision, Bright Future campaign.
In 1991, the museum opened its doors at the Clay Street
location. The house was built in 1832 by Adolph Dill and purchased in 1922 by
Maggie L. Walker, the country's first female bank president as well as the
country's first Black bank president.
The current museum is a repository of artifacts, visual,
oral and written records commemorating the history and accomplishments of
African Americans in the state of Virginia. The new museum seeks to expand upon
this vision and become a national tourist attraction as well as a statewide
resource of Black history through inter-active exhibitions, educational
programs, discussion groups and historical archives.
The fundraising effort continues and they would welcome your
efforts and contributions. To learn more about this Richmond treasure go