Henrico fires prompt safety warning - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Henrico fires prompt safety warning


Fires caused by heaters seriously damaged two homes in Henrico County in just the last 24 hours. Fire officials are now issuing a safety warning.

"Whether it be a fireplace, wood stove, electric heater, or kerosene heater," said Lt. R.J. Whaley. said "Make sure that you have a good safe distance away from those heating appliances."

Fire officials say to keep things that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment. They also warn not to leave space heaters and wood burning stoves unattended. Lt. Whaley notes half of home heating equipment fires happen during December, January and February.

We are now learning the fire at a home off Wishart Road started after combustible material was left too close to a wood stove.

"With the cold weather we are also having a lot of pipes freezing and bursting," said Lt. Whaley.

Fire crews were also called to a home on Brittles Lane and Williamsburg Road. Fire crews say residents were using an electric heater to thaw frozen water pipes. Lt. Whaley say it is best to use a blow dryer.

"That way it is a slow process," said Lt. Whaley. "But it will heat the pipe up safely. It will keep the pipe from bursting, and you have to be there with the pipe so you're not leaving it unattended."

Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved

Powered by Frankly