Woman escape massive fire at Powhatan gas station - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News

Woman escape massive fire at Powhatan gas station

Posted: Updated:
POWHATAN, VA (WWBT) -

A driver survived a massive fire at a gas station in Powhatan that sent her car up in flames.

The fire started at the CITGO at the 3200 block of Genito Road. Authorities are leaning towards static electricity as the cause of this fire.

Authorities on scene say the driver, Kristen Price, had just finished filling up. She was taking the nozzle out of her car when the fire started.

"I pulled the gas nozzle out of the tank, and it just lit on fire in my hand, and I was kind of dumbfounded and thinking,  'Oh maybe there is an extinguisher here somewhere,' but I didn't think about it too long," said Price.

Price said she then ran in the store, along with several employees who saw the fire ignite and the group hid in the back until it was safe to come out.

"The driver of the vehicle could have been badly burnt and we also could have had a store fire. We had occupants inside the store so they would have been trapped inside the store," said Chief Don Houtsma of Powhatan Fire Department.

Fire officials say so much could have gone wrong and the fire could have been worse.

"Fortunately, they have emergency shutoffs, so the clerk was able to shut off the gas pumps right away when he saw the flame and that's what saved us from a real bad problem. We could have had an explosion we have propane tanks in front of the building that could have extended and caught on fire, so we were very lucky," said Houtsma.

In all, 25 firefighters were called out to battle the blaze. The owner of the store said they have video of the fire starting but will have to hand it over to authorities first.

Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved

Powered by WorldNow