Deaf family displaced after Chesterfield apartment fire - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Deaf family displaced after Chesterfield apartment fire

Source: Chesterfield Fire EMS Source: Chesterfield Fire EMS
CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) -

Two families are homeless after an apartment fire completely destroyed one unit and damaged another on Friday.

This happened in Chester at the Colonial Ridge apartments on Martingale Road. The couple who lived in one of the units is deaf, but they and their three kids managed to make it out alive. There was another family who also got out.

Smoke from the fire quickly spread to the unit upstairs, where Tishawn Bobb and her son were.

"He was like, 'Mom, the window is on fire,' and we were just going crazy, we started to run, we were so scared," said Bobb.

Part of the wall is now missing, the carpet is soaking wet, and there's smoke damage throughout the unit.

"Yeah, I'm actually very thankful that it's not as bad as downstairs. It's just terrible, what happened," said Bobb.

Downstairs, a deaf couple and their three kids weren't so lucky; they got out alive but lost everything.

Officials say the fire started when a small child knocked over a lamp, setting the curtains on fire.

Bobb, her boys, and the other family are getting help from The American Red Cross.

Copyright 2013 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved

Powered by Frankly