By: Kym Grinnage email
For the citizens and politicians that have supported the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, it's an understatement to say that the launch has been a failure. While it is true that many, who have signed on have seen the benefits of lower premiums and the coverage for preexisting conditions, the level of confidence that Americans have in President Obama and government's ability to get it right has been hugely diminished.
So what needs to happen now? First, I believe that President Obama needs to speak to the country in a primetime address and explain clearly the following:
- Exactly what happened with the website failure and really when will it be fixed?
- Explain why more than 5% of Americans may have their current policies cancelled?
- Why did the President tell the American people that "If they liked their insurance they could keep their insurance"?
- Was the President misinformed or did he intentionally misinform us to win support?
- What will be done immediately to ensure that those who have been kicked off of their existing plans will receive coverage?
- What will be done now to change the flaws in the law?
The Affordable Care Act is law and starting over will not be the best solution for many Americans who are still uninsured or may find themselves uninsured.
A political win or defeat on either side will not change the fact that affordable health care for all Americans is still needed. Apologies from the President are OK, but it will not fix the problem.
It's time to lead from the front!!