Elderly couple in hospital after Petersburg house fire - NBC12 - Richmond, VA News

Elderly couple in hospital after Petersburg house fire

Posted: Updated:
PETERSBURG, VA (WWBT) -

An elderly couple and a firefighter had to be taken to the hospital after a fire broke out inside of their home Monday night.

Fire crews were called to the 2400 block of Merryoaks Avenue around 9:45 p.m. When they arrived they saw flames shooting out of the home.

The couple inside were both found unconscious and had to be rescued.  Crews said that the man is disabled and was taken to VCU Medical Center's trauma center for burn treatment. The woman was taken to Southside Regional Medical Center with unknown injuries.

Firefighters managed to get the blaze under control in about an hour. Two pets, a dog and a cat, were found dead as a result of the fire.

Officials said the flames appear to have started in the back of the home near the kitchen area, but are still looking into a cause.

Dominion Power was called out and had to take down a wire that was attached to the home and threatening to fall on top of it.

No word on the conditions of the couple.

Copyright 2013 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved

Powered by WorldNow