DC Mayor: At least 12 killed in #NavyYardShooting

WASHINGTON, DC (RNN) - Mayor Vincent Gray said there were at least 12 fatalities after a shooting inside a building at the Washington Naval Yard Monday.

We have live coverage of the shooting on air and online at NBC12.com.

Click here to watch the livestream: 

One gunmen is dead and two other suspects may be on the loose.

"Right now, we have multiple pieces of information that we have two additional people seen with fire arms wearing military style uniforms but we do not know if they are military employees," Police Chief Cathy Lanier said. "We are still doing an extensive search. This is a large agency and we have multiple buildings and multiple teams."

The Metro Police Department announced multiple dead bodies remained from the shooting inside a building at the Naval Yard.

"With at least 12 confirmed dead at this point, I think the actions by the police officers helped reduce those killed," Lanier said. "Our hearts go out to the families of the victims."

Lanier said the incident happened inside the Naval Sea Systems Command Headquarters building around 8:15 a.m. ET Monday. She said a Metro police officer engaged one of the gunmen, killing the suspect and getting injured in the process.

Authorities are gathering fingerprints from the deceased shooter in attempts to identify him.

"We potentially have two other shooters that we have not located at this point," Lanier said.

She described one as a white male, between 40 and 50, armed with a handgun in a khaki or tan military-style outfit - short sleeves with a beret hat. The other she said was a black male about 50 years old, 180 pounds, armed with a "long gun," graying sideburns and wearing an olive or drab colored military -style uniform.

"We have no information to believe either of them are military personnel, but we do believe they may be wearing military uniforms," Lanier said.

Patricia Ward, a witness who works in Building 197 where the shooting occurred, said that to get on the base, people do pass through a metal detectors, however there are no metal detectors to get into the individual buildings. Individual ID badges must be scanned to gain entrance into buildings, like a pass key. Security does not search bags if you have an ID, that is considered clearance for the base.

A spokesman from George Washington University Hospital gave a report on the victims they have seen. He said one patient died on the way to the hospital from a single gunshot wound to the head.

Also, four or five people were considered in critical condition, with more than 20 non-critical.

Two Navy officials said at least six were killed after shooters opened fire, according to the Associated Press.

Ed Ziegler of the U.S. Navy told CNN that two shooters were down, but he did not specify if that meant they were in custody or dead.

Ed Buclatin, Commander, Navy Installations Command director of public affairs, wrote on Twitter that at least two shooters were responsible, according to his watch team's report. He said four people were killed and eight injured, with "one shooter down."

Janis Orlowski, Chief Operating Officer of Washington Hospital Center, said they were treating three shooting victims, one a male Metro police officer who was undergoing surgery. The other two were female civilians.

Orlowski said the wounds appeared consistent with a semi-automatic weapon, but all three were expected to survive. One of the women has a gunshot wound to her shoulder; the other female victim received a wound to her head and her hand.

WJLA reported the four deaths and 10 others injured, based on a police source. A defense official told the Associated Press that several had been killed with possibly 10 more injured.

The U.S. Navy's Twitter account confirmed "several" people had been injured when someone opened fire around 8:20 a.m. ET.

CNN reported another member of law enforcement was among the victims, although they did not relay the person's condition.

"[The shooter] was far enough down the hall, and we could see him aim the rifle at us," Terry Durham, a witness, told WJLA. "He fired at us as we ran down the hall."

Durham added it appeared the shooter was firing over their head. Other witnesses said his weapon looked like a rifle.

Scanner traffic from emergency responders indicated a "mass casualty" team performed triage at the scene. A U.S. Park Police helicopter could be seen removing people from the roof of a building.

DC Firefighters, Ladder 36, tweeted an officer had been injured and removed from the scene; the severity of the injury was "unknown." Police scanners reported an officer had been struck twice in the leg.

Scanner traffic stated a woman injured by gunshot was on the roof of the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters, building 197.

Commander Tim Juris told CNN that a maintenance worker tried to warn him about the active shooter situation before he was shot in the head. Juris was in helping to evacuate the area.

George Washington Hospital has confirmed to CNN one patient was brought to George Washington Hospital at 9:07 a.m.

"There is one confirmed injury," according to the Navy's initial statement. "Emergency personnel are on scene and a 'shelter in place' order has been issued for Navy Yard personnel."

Capitol, DC, and Military Police, as well as fire, ambulance and Emergency Response Team vehicles responded to the scene. The Naval Sea Systems Command's headquarters is the work place for about 3,000 people, according to the statement.

The organization is comprised of command staff, headquarters directorates, affiliated program executive offices and field activities. It is responsible for engineering, building, buying and maintaining ships, submarines and combat systems for the Naval fleet's operational requirements.

The Navy Yard is about 1.5 miles from the U.S. Capitol and 4.5 miles from the Pentagon. Also, it sits roughly 1 mile from the Washington Nationals' baseball field, where a game is scheduled for 6 p.m. Monday. A meeting place for family members is set up at the parking lot at the ball field.

Eight nearby schools were placed on lockdown, as well as Fort Myer, which is about five miles away in Virginia. A ground stop at Reagan National Airport has been lifted.

Fire crews from nearby Arlington County, VA and Prince Georges County, MD are filling in for Washington, DC, fire crews who are on scene.

Multiple agencies are investigating the incident, including the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, DC Metro Police, and the FBI, which has the lead.

"I'm deeply shocked and saddened by the shooting this morning at the Navy Yard," said Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. I have complete confidence in our first responders, and I continue to be completely focused on this very difficult situation."

President Barack Obama spoke about the shooting at a news conference Monday.

"We are confronting yet another mass shooting," Obama said. "It's a shooting that targeted military and civilian personnel. These are men and women who were going to work, to do their job to protect us. They're patriots. We offer our gratitude to the Navy, local law enforcement, federal authorities and the doctors who've responded with skill and bravery.

"As this investigation moves forward, we will do everything in our power to find whoever carried out this cowardly act is held responsible."

Family members looking for information about their loved ones can call 202-433-6151 or 202-433-9713.

Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.