Mystery man leaves $500 tip for Farmville Applebee's waitress - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Mystery man leaves $500 tip for Farmville Applebee's waitress

FARMVILLE, VA (WWBT) -

A man left a waitress at the Farmville Applebee's a $500 tip, then left the restaurant before the woman even had a chance to get his name.

Amber Packer was having a bad day. In fact, she say the morning of August 28 was probably one of the hardest shifts she has ever had to work. She had just returned to work after being out with strep throat and bronchitis. She had been going through a rough patch at home, as well and her baby brother had just deployed to Afghanistan.

"The entire time I was holding back tears," said Packer. "I just wanted to go home and get back in bed."

When she got to her third or fourth table of the morning, she started  chatting with the man at the table, who realized she was having a difficult day.

"He said he could see the emotion I was trying to hold back, in my eyes. With that the tears came like a flood gate opening," she explained. "Then he asked me if I had prayed about it. And I had. Then he asked if I would mind if he and I prayed together right there in the middle of Applebee's. I told him I wouldn't mind at all,  I wanted all the help I could get."

After the two prayed, he paid the bill and told her to keep praying. By time she came back to pick up the signed check the man was gone. The only thing left was the credit card receipt with a $500 tip and his signature.

"I never even got his name or a chance to thank him. It was surreal," she said.

Amber says the situation at home has since improved. Her brother in Afghanistan as hospitalized after a mortar explosion, Amber says, but he has since recovered as well.

"My situation isn't the best and I am trying as hard as I can to fix it despite the set backs and upsets," she wrote in an email. "I know I have to work for what I want and hope that my hard work along with my husband's will pay off in the long run."

Copyright WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved

• Latest news from NBC12.comNEWSMore>>

'Austin Powers' star Verne Troyer dies at age 49

Saturday, April 21 2018 4:51 PM EDT2018-04-21 20:51:28 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 2:33 AM EDT2018-04-22 06:33:39 GMT

Verne Troyer, an actor famous for his role as Mini-Me in the "Austin Powers" trilogy, has passed away.

More >>

More >>

Laughter, tears as former first lady Barbara Bush remembered

Saturday, April 21 2018 12:04 AM EDT2018-04-21 04:04:04 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 1:58 AM EDT2018-04-22 05:58:13 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.

As the outpouring of tributes continues for Barbara Bush, the general public can pay its respects to the former first lady.

More >>

More >>

Trump considering pardon for late boxer Jack Johnson

Saturday, April 21 2018 3:44 PM EDT2018-04-21 19:44:16 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 1:57 AM EDT2018-04-22 05:57:44 GMT
    Stallone, who starred in the 1976 boxing film "Rocky" and several sequels, is a supporter of the president and attended Trump's New Years' Eve party at Mar-a-Lago in 2016. (Source: CNN/Twitter)Stallone, who starred in the 1976 boxing film "Rocky" and several sequels, is a supporter of the president and attended Trump's New Years' Eve party at Mar-a-Lago in 2016. (Source: CNN/Twitter)

More >>

President Donald Trump says he's considering "a Full Pardon!" for boxing's first black heavyweight champion more than 100 years after Jack Johnson was convicted by all-white jury of "immorality" for one of his relationships.

More >>