A new pizza and grill had six critical violations on two health inspections in a row. So we met the owner, who showed how she has completely turned things around, in this edition of the Restaurant Report.
It was Shahida Sohail's dream to open G's Pizza and Grill, serving pizzas and Italian and Middle Eastern fare. It's located at 4734 Finlay Street in Henrico. But when Sohail couldn't be there for a little while, G's had 6 critical violations, twice.
Explained owner Shahida Sohail, "I have a newborn baby so that's why I was not able to come over here."
The report says two coolers were not keeping food cold enough, the slicer was dirty, and some foods were not dated. So Sohail made a change.
"We did have a problem with our chef," Sohail told us. "So I tried my best to train them and fix those issues, but he was not understanding. So unfortunately, I had to let him go."
She has since hired two new chefs and the inspector gave G's a perfect score on the next inspection.
Said Sohail, "When she entered the kitchen, she was shocked and she said, 'wow, it looks so awesome.' Everything was organized, everything was the right temperature, so she said 'best of luck!'"
Moving to O'Banks Café and Grill at 10392 Leadbetter Road in Hanover, which had 4 critical violations, including that grilled chicken and peppers were not being kept hot enough. All problems were corrected while the inspector was still on site.
O'Banks' owner Jeff Friz sent us the following statement:
"Here at O'Banks Cafe & Grill we take health concerns and the safety of our guests very seriously. We corrected the recent violations issued to our establishment by the Health Department immediately and to prevent any further violations we've increased our staff training sessions and replaced faulty equipment with new. Additionally, we plan to close four times a year to address any maintenance issues and upgrade kitchen equipment as needed. We've always had a good relationship with the Health Department and continue to work closely with them to insure the safety of our guests."
Firehouse Subs at 8191 Brook Road in Henrico wins this week's NBC12 Hall of Fame Award for acing 5 health inspections.
Said owner Randy Evans, "Kind of like a fire station is run, we do check-throughs twice a day, make sure our coolers are the right temperature, etc, make sure our tables and dining room stays neat for the patrons throughout the day."
Firehouse Subs is also collecting donations for the families of the 19 firefighters killed in the Arizona wildfire.
Copyright 2013 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.
WWBT-TV NBC 12
P.O. Box 12
On Your Side
Video and Pics