Avoid getting burned by your hot water heater - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Avoid getting burned by your hot water heater


A Henrico woman is still recovering from serious burns after scalding herself in the bathtub. The cause of it all turned out to be the water heater turned up way too high.

Henrico firefighters broke into the woman's Short Pump home, Tuesday. Officials say she was actually burned a few days ago, and tried to recover on her own. However, her injuries were so severe, the woman was rushed to the hospital in critical condition. Henrico firefighters say that most of the calls they get for burns are for the elderly or children.

Professionals say hot water heaters are difficult to gauge without the right equipment. Chris Barrett of Chesterfield's Atlantic Heating and Cooling says a slight twist could make water dangerously hot.

"When you have temperatures of 125 degrees and excess of 125 degrees…you're looking at the possibility of instantaneous scalds," said Barrett.

Water heaters can run on gas or electricity. Most have red lines or red indicators on the dial that show when water temperatures could get dangerous.

"The elderly, infants and children are typically are looking at a scald hazard, much more than an adult is," continued Barrett.

Barrett suggests calling a professional to have your water heater checked annually.

Copyright 2013 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly