Kevin Ware believes injury happened for a reason - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Kevin Ware believes injury happened for a reason

Kevin Ware spoke at a press conference on Wednesday. Kevin Ware spoke at a press conference on Wednesday.

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Eight to ten weeks for his bone to heal, after that Kevin Ware is not sure when he can return to the basketball court.

Louisville Sophomore Guard Kevin Ware sat down with local and national media Wednesday afternoon for the first time since he broke his leg on national TV in the Elite 8 matchup against Duke.

Ware said he wants the fans to know he's going to be okay and is amazed at the outpouring of support. So is his coach Rick Pitino and mother Lisa Junior. Both couldn't believe all the personal well-wishes he's received in the last few days.

"You're the coolest guy I know in Louisville," said Pitino when he learned First Lady Michelle Obama called Ware. "I said the President's pretty cool, but Michelle Obama she's the real thing, now. Kevin that was unbelievable."
While that call also impressed Ware's mom, it was a call from Kobe Bryant that Ware said left him speechless. "It doesn't matter how old you are or what the situation is everybody cares. That really touched me."

Ware explained the play he where he went down was one he experienced with the very same Duke player when the two teams met in an early season tournament in the Bahamas. "When I went to contest the shot it was like I normally do. I kind of jumped like I should have blocked the shot because I jumped so high, but I guess I just landed wrong and I didn't see where I landed so that's what caused the injury."

It wasn't until Coach Pitino came over, gave an odd look and Ware saw his bone sticking six inches out of his leg that Ware said he realize what happened, but even then, "I kind of felt like stuff like this doesn't happen for no reason. There's a reason behind everything, so I'll soon find out the reason will be. It's just a process I'm ready for."

Ware's first mission was making sure his team knew they had to keep going. "What was going through my head? I'm going to cry. My team's going to be devastated and we won't win this game or I'll just try to say some words that will get us through and they beat Duke by 22, so I think my words got through good enough."

Ware hasn't set a timeline for when he will be back with on the court again, so he's found a new hobby named after his injury. "Yeah. Scar. It's a little pit bull," he told the group while Coach Pitino smiled and covered his face.

"We have a connection already. We're like best friends. I felt like I'm going to need something to do, someone to entertain and I felt a dog was perfect for that situation."

This weekend though, someone will have to baby sit for Ware because he will be with his team in Atlanta. This time he says he doesn't have any words of encouragement. "I don't think I have to tell them anything honestly. I think they'll just look over to the bench and see me sitting there. That will be all the motivation we need."

Ware said he didn't even know the team was headed to the Final Four until Monday. He said he was so medicated from his surgery he doesn't even remember Pitino visiting him in the hospital.

Louisville plays Wichita State Saturday.

Copyright 2013 WAVE News. All rights reserved.

Kevin Ware sidebar

Updated:

Kevin Ware released from hospital; says he's "feeling good"Louisville's Ware back on campusWare expected to travel with Cards to Final FourWare's mom, former Card talk about injuryLouisville's Kevin Ware More>>

• Latest news from NBC12.comNEWSMore>>

Congress settles for stopgap to avoid government shutdown

Saturday, April 29 2017 6:19 PM EDT2017-04-29 22:19:54 GMT
    Saturday, April 29 2017 6:19 PM EDT2017-04-29 22:19:54 GMT

President Donald Trump seems destined to serve his 100th day in office without House passage of a Republican health care bill or enactment of a budget financing the government for the rest of this year.

FORECAST: Our Summer-like weekend continues

Saturday, April 29 2017 6:11 PM EDT2017-04-29 22:11:07 GMT

Get the latest forecast from the NBC12 First Alert Weather team.

More >>

Get the latest forecast from the NBC12 First Alert Weather team.

More >>

Bicyclist identified in deadly Richmond crash

Saturday, April 29 2017 4:31 PM EDT2017-04-29 20:31:14 GMT

Police say a man has died, after being struck by a car, while he was riding a bicycle in Richmond's southside. It happened just after 10:30 p.m. Friday in the 1600 block of Hopkins Road. Officers say when they arrived at the scene, the bicyclist was already dead. We're still working to learn if the driver is facing any charges. Stay with NBC 12 for updates. Copyright 2017 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved Report an Error or Submit a Tip to NBC12

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

Thursday, April 27 2017 12:17 AM EDT2017-04-27 04:17:43 GMT
    Friday, April 28 2017 11:32 PM EDT2017-04-29 03:32:02 GMT
    Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

More >>

William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

More >>

Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction.  She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.

More >>

One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction. She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.

More >>

Teen with cerebral palsy denied prom tickets

Friday, April 28 2017 10:36 PM EDT2017-04-29 02:36:27 GMT
    Friday, April 28 2017 11:00 PM EDT2017-04-29 03:00:47 GMT
    Ashley Hamblin already has her dress picked out, but may not be able to wear it. (WSMV)Ashley Hamblin already has her dress picked out, but may not be able to wear it. (WSMV)

She has her dress, her date, and an extensive hair and makeup plan. It’s all in anticipation of her high school prom, but a Middle Tennessee teen was denied tickets.

Powered by Frankly