UPDATE: Henrico apartment fire started in chimney - NBC12 - Richmond, VA News

UPDATE: Henrico apartment fire started in chimney

Posted: Updated:
HENRICO, VA (WWBT) -

Henrico firefighters tell us the massive fire started in the chimney shared by several apartment units. Neighbors at the Breckenridge Apartments returned to pick up what little belongings they could salvage.

Mike Cummings lives just feet away from the building that was consumed with flames Friday night.  

"It gave me a whole new respect on fire," said Cummings. "That's for sure. It's nothing to be played with." 

A dozen trucks responded to the complex off Gaskins Road around 9:00 Friday night.  

"You could hear the roar of the fire alone it was so big," Cummings said.  

You could even see the chimney fall through the roof as crews put out the fire. One chimney serves several units.

Cummings says crews put out the flames in a matter of minutes - there are at least 19 units here.  

"Henrico County did a great job I'll have to say," Cummings noted. "They do a thorough job. There were here until 2:00 in the morning." 

Neighbors and work crews were back early Saturday. Crews were unloading these fencing panels. They'll put them up around the perimeter of the building to keep people from the outside from getting in until tenants can come in and retrieve all of their valuables. 

Some people living here couldn't salvage a lot because of the smoke and water damage.

"I am really humbled by the situation - I felt so bad," said Cummings.  

Mike and other neighbors out here are just thankful they made it out safely.

Fire crews also want to remind people daylight saving is a good time to change the batteries in your smoke detector.

Powered by WorldNow