Two suspects dead, one at large following home invasion - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News

Two suspects dead, one at large following home invasion

Posted: Updated:
PRINCE EDWARD, VA (WWBT) -

Prince Edward sheriff's deputies are investigating a deadly home invasion that happened early Sunday morning in Prospect. Two of the three suspects are dead, shot by the homeowner in self defense, according to investigators on scene. Meanwhile, the search continues for the third suspect.

This situation began unfolding at about 4:30 a.m. in the 5000 block of Prince Edward Highway, or Route 460. Investigators told NBC12's Kelly Avellino three unknown men forced their way in the front door of the home, where a man was alone with a 2-year-old child.

According to a press release issued by Sheriff Wesley W. Reed, that man called 911 to report a home invasion and said the suspects were armed. Reed also said gunfire was exchanged between the suspects and the caller.

Authorities said two suspects were pronounced dead at the scene, while the third managed to escape on foot.

We're told the homeowner and the child were not harmed. 

Right now, there is a vague description of that third suspect, who is believed wearing dark clothing. According to Reed, K-9 units tracked the suspect a quarter of a mile west of the crime scene. It was there, investigators say, the suspect is believed to have gotten into a vehicle.

A Virginia State Police spokesperson had previously confirmed to NBC12 they were working with the Prince Edward Sheriff's Department on this investigation.

The two deceased suspects were transported to the medical examiner's office for identification and confirmation of cause of death.

We're working to get more information on this developing story. We will have an update, tonight on NBC12 News at 11.

Copyright 2013 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow