Chesterfield firemen injured battling house fire - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News

Chesterfield firemen injured battling house fire

Posted: Updated:
CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) -

There was double trouble during a house fire in Chesterfield Monday. Two firefighters had to be taken to the hospital. They were responding to the fire at a home off Salem Church Road. The family called 911 after escaping the smoke and fire.

It is a risk our first responders take every day to keep us safe. Monday morning in Chesterfield, a dangerous job proved to be just that.

It seemed to happen out of nowhere.

"Some things we can't control," said Battalion Chief Vincent Urquhart.

Around 11:30, Chesterfield Fire crews responded to a home across from Salem Church Middle School. They arrived to heavy smoke and a fire in the attic. That's when things took an unexpected turn for two firefighters.

"A sheet rock ceiling came down on top of him, {causing a} possible neck injury and the other was a minor burn," Urquhart explained.

He says the injured firemen were responsive and walked away from the fire scene into the ambulance.

"They were both transported to area hospitals for evaluation purposes more than anything," he added.

Urquhart says there was nothing anyone could've done to prevent this from happening.

"Everybody was doing exactly what they were supposed to do. Everyone was dressed properly. Unfortunately it's just one of the hazards of the job," he explained.

No one else was hurt on scene. The fire department was able to put out the fire, though there's significant smoke damage in the home. Investigators believed the fire may have started in the chimney which is connected to a wooden stove. Fire marshals are working to determine the official cause.

While both firefighters are being treated for their injuries, both are expected to be fine.

Copyright 2013 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved. 

Powered by WorldNow