Carbon monoxide gas sickens Henrico family - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Carbon monoxide gas sickens Henrico family


A mother in Henrico discovered her daughter passed out in the bathtub Sunday morning. The whole family was found to be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Henrcio firefighters rushed to the home on Croydon Road just after 10 a.m. Responders quickly discovered the invisible gas was saturating the house. A 34-year-old woman and her 11-year-old son were rushed to the hospital. Thankfully, everyone survived.

Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. The gas has no color, odor or taste. Olivia Logan says she and her 34-year-old daughter had suffered odd symptoms for the last couple weeks.

"Headaches and dizziness and nausea," described Logan.

She says her daughter yelled for help, before passing out in the bathtub.

"Terrifying. I didn't know what was wrong with her. She scared me so badly because her eyes went back, and then I asked her what was wrong, and she couldn't speak," said Logan.

Firefighters rushed to figure out the problem. Captain James Mellon, of the Henrico Fire Department, says the home's carbon monoxide reading was through the roof. He says a deadly level is 100 parts per million. The house was at 190 ppm.

"We were definitely over that threshold," said Mellon. "As soon as we went in, we started getting climbing readings of carbon monoxide."

The entire family showed high levels of carbon monoxide in their systems.

The poisonous gas clings to red-blood cells in the body, pushing out oxygen.

"Therefore, your blood can't transport oxygen to your vital organs properly," continued Mellon.

The family says it was a bird's nest that got caught in the furnace which prevented much of the carbon monoxide from escaping through the chimney. There were no carbon monoxide detectors in the home.

"I just want people to be aware that it's (carbon monoxide) a deadly killer and we did not really know about it," said Logan.

Firefighters say any home with any kind of fuel burning appliance (gas stove, furnace, water heater, etc.) should have carbon monoxide detectors with working batteries.

Copyright 2013 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.


Powered by Frankly