12 Investigates: Police still hunting for Museum District Killer

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - On the edge of the Museum District, in the shadow of Carytown, a killer got away seven years ago.

"You're a block from Carytown, all the nice shops and things, people spending money over here. you would never think a block away, your best friend was murdered. I mean it's crazy," said Justin "Boz" Boswell.

Super Sunday, February 6, 2006: 22-year-old Michael Dobbs was walking to his car from a friend's house around 1:30 in the morning. They'd been planning a party. His Steelers were in the Superbowl.

"We were getting ready for the Superbowl that night. The Steelers were playing. He was really looking forward to it," said longtime-friend Dan Waters.

Dobbs had just graduated college and moved back home. He was a Hermitage graduate and a long distance runner. Police believe two or three people tried to rob him as he walked to his car. There was a scuffle and he tried to run.

"That's what he did best, but you can't outrun a gun," said Waters.

Police have very few witnesses, and few leads have trickled in over the years.

Detective Joe Fultz has been on the case from the very beginning. We've interviewed him several times over the years. It's never any easier for him to be back at the place Michael took his last breathe.

"I walked up here as I arrived on the scene. Mr. Dobbs was laying right in this spot," said Detective Fultz.

"You remember it well?" asked Rachel.

"I remember it just like it was yesterday. That's what I see when I come by here. I see Michael, right here, in this spot, every time I drive by," added Detective Fultz.

Michael had been shot. He died lying on the pavement, at the corner of Elwood Avenue and North Auburn Street.

"I'm hoping that somebody will come forward and give us a hand. Somebody can say something and put this to rest, finally and give his family some sort of peace," said Detective Fultz.

Even after seven years, for Dobbs' friends, the tears fall freely.

"Just have some peace for me and Dan and for Mike's family," said Boswell through tears.

"You miss him?," asked Rachel.

"Everyday. I told myself I wasn't going to cry," said Boswell.

"He was the best guy I knew. He was the best of all of us," added Waters.

Police believe there is one person out there who can come forward and break this case wide open. There is still a $10,000 reward if your information leads to that arrest and conviction.

Call Crime Stoppers at 780-1000. You can remain anonymous.

Copyright 2013 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.