Henrico apartment fire victim dies from injuries - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News

Henrico apartment fire victim dies from injuries

Posted: Updated:
HENRICO, VA (WWBT) -

The man who was rescued from an apartment fire passed away Wednesday.

Keith Venable, 49, died as a result of the injuries he sustained in the fire. Henrico fire crews say the fire was caused by a pan being left on a stove. 

The fire started around midnight Tuesday at the Glenwood Farms Apartments in East Highland Park. A neighbor heard Venable screaming for help, so he tried to break in through a window to save him. When that didn't work he busted in a door to try to get inside. That's when he heard the smoke alarm going off.

The apartment was covered in heavy smoke, and he wasn't able to find Venable, so he called 911. The smoke detector was located on the floor leading the Fire Marshal to believe the activation was late into the fire.

Fire crews found Venable unconscious. Within minutes, they were able to rescue him and then have him transported to VCU Medical Center. He died from his injuries Wednesday afternoon.

The neighbor was also treated and released for injuries he received trying to help.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow