Charges dropped against Regency Square shooting suspect - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Charges dropped against Regency Square shooting suspect

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) -

Prosecutors have dropped the most serious charges against a man previously accused of firing a shot at the Regency Square mall in October.

Henrico Police arrested Moses Bryant, 23, after the October 8 shooting and charged him with malicious wounding, use of a firearm by a convicted felon, shooting in a public place, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Those charges were dropped Thursday.

Prosecutors said they didn't have enough evidence in the case to reach a conviction. No witnesses could positively identify Bryant as the shooter, they said.

On the day of the shooting, Henrico Police said a shot was fired in a hallway outside a bathroom near the Regency Mall food court. No one was hit by the bullet, however two people were injured in the ensuing chaos. At the time, police said they were looking for two men. Bryant was arrested two days later.

Bryant's attorney was asked how the case unraveled.

"He [Bryant] made a statement originally when they [police] picked him up and they have investigated it further and they made this decision they made today and we think that's the appropriate decision," said Craig Dunkum, who indicated Bryant was "relieved" that his case was resolved.

Prosecutors said Bryant admitted to being involved in an incident at the mall that day, but claimed the other man pulled the trigger. Authorities say they are still investigating the whereabouts of the second suspect, who was not identified.

Bryant was convicted on one misdemeanor charge of possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. He was sentenced to time served and a $100 fine.

Text NEWS to 80412 to receive breaking news text alerts on your phone.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

 

  • Latest news from NBC12.comNEWSMore>>

  • breaking

    1 dead, 15 hurt in mass shooting at Cincinnati nightclub

    1 dead, 15 hurt in mass shooting at Cincinnati nightclub

    Sunday, March 26 2017 1:49 PM EDT2017-03-26 17:49:28 GMT

    Cincinnati Police say one person was killed and 15 others injured when gunfire broke out at Cameo Nightclub early Sunday morning.

    More >>

    Cincinnati Police say one person was killed and 15 others injured when gunfire broke out at Cameo Nightclub early Sunday morning.

    More >>
  • Two people displaced after fire destroys Richmond home

    Two people displaced after fire destroys Richmond home

    Sunday, March 26 2017 11:45 AM EDT2017-03-26 15:45:01 GMT

    Two people are being helped by the Red Cross, after a fire broke out at their Richmond home. Crews tell us the fire broke out in the 5500 block of Campbell Avenue around 10:55 this morning. When they got on scene, fire crews saw flames coming from the back of the home. They were able to get the fire under control in about 15 minutes. Officials say everyone got out safely, but the damage was so bad, that a man and woman living in the home have to find a new place to live.

    More >>

    Two people are being helped by the Red Cross, after a fire broke out at their Richmond home. Crews tell us the fire broke out in the 5500 block of Campbell Avenue around 10:55 this morning. When they got on scene, fire crews saw flames coming from the back of the home. They were able to get the fire under control in about 15 minutes. Officials say everyone got out safely, but the damage was so bad, that a man and woman living in the home have to find a new place to live.

    More >>
  • Police investigate after man found shot in leg

    Police investigate after man found shot in leg

    Saturday, March 25 2017 9:26 PM EDT2017-03-26 01:26:06 GMT

    Richmond police are investigating a shooting in the city's east end after a man was shot in the leg.

    More >>

    Richmond police are investigating a shooting in the city's east end after a man was shot in the leg.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly