Charges dropped against Regency Square shooting suspect - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News

Charges dropped against Regency Square shooting suspect

Posted: Updated:
HENRICO, VA (WWBT) -

Prosecutors have dropped the most serious charges against a man previously accused of firing a shot at the Regency Square mall in October.

Henrico Police arrested Moses Bryant, 23, after the October 8 shooting and charged him with malicious wounding, use of a firearm by a convicted felon, shooting in a public place, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Those charges were dropped Thursday.

Prosecutors said they didn't have enough evidence in the case to reach a conviction. No witnesses could positively identify Bryant as the shooter, they said.

On the day of the shooting, Henrico Police said a shot was fired in a hallway outside a bathroom near the Regency Mall food court. No one was hit by the bullet, however two people were injured in the ensuing chaos. At the time, police said they were looking for two men. Bryant was arrested two days later.

Bryant's attorney was asked how the case unraveled.

"He [Bryant] made a statement originally when they [police] picked him up and they have investigated it further and they made this decision they made today and we think that's the appropriate decision," said Craig Dunkum, who indicated Bryant was "relieved" that his case was resolved.

Prosecutors said Bryant admitted to being involved in an incident at the mall that day, but claimed the other man pulled the trigger. Authorities say they are still investigating the whereabouts of the second suspect, who was not identified.

Bryant was convicted on one misdemeanor charge of possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. He was sentenced to time served and a $100 fine.

Text NEWS to 80412 to receive breaking news text alerts on your phone.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow