Local business donates mattresses to fire victims

POWHATAN, VA (WWBT) - A family of eight, who lost their home in a fire, can now sleep a little easier. NBC 12 first told you about this family a few weeks ago when everything they owned got destroyed. Now, a local business has donated mattresses to the family.

Unwrapping plastic is a good sound for the Crotts family after receiving several brand new mattresses and box springs.

They're going into the kids' rooms in a rented home about 15 minutes away from their original home. It caught on fire earlier this month leaving the family with nothing. The mom believes the fire may have sparked in the living room near the cable box. Donations like these are comforting to brother, Justin Crotts.

"I mean, I am really grateful for everyone just to help that we don't even know," said Crotts. "I'm just really blessed."

Jeff  Worsham, with Main Street Mattress in Powhatan, decided to give six matresses away, worth $1,500, when his business partner's mom saw our story about the devastating fire.

"Being a resident of Powhatan, we thought that would be a great gesture to help out," Worsham added.

The Crotts family lost everything including cherished photos, clothes, toys and furniture, but they say the outpour of support from local businesses and neighbors is encouraging.

"I'm just really thankful for everyone to say is everything alright… is there anything I can do or anything," Crotts noted.

Justin and his siblings are just glad to get off the cold floor and into a warm bed thanks to thoughtful companies like Main Street Mattress in Powhatan. The family is accepting donations through an account set up at New Horizon Bank in Powhatan. Make checks payable to: The Crotts Family Fund.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.