Richmond Symphony Orchestra hitting sour note over contracts - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Richmond Symphony Orchestra hitting sour note over contracts

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) -

Musicians for the Richmond Symphony Orchestra haven't been able to reach a contract agreement with management since the beginning of their season this year, in September.

Orchestra players say they aren't paid much for the music they make, about $33,000 a year. The orchestra's management aims to cut their salaries by nearly $4,000, along with reducing benefits.

Viola player Molly Sharp says the musicians are refusing to sign the final offer.

"We were just on the bottom of a living wage, and barely keeping up with inflation. Now it means, we're below that and need to start making some serious choices," said Sharp.

Richmond Symphony Orchestra management says overall funding is down. However, despite ticket sales have being solid since 2009, organizers say it's not enough to make up for the loss. Management says they've made as many cuts as possible over the last four years in other areas.

Negotiations have hit a sour note.

"We're seeing the core of what we do being eroded and that worries us," said Sharp.

Flute player Mary Boodell says the economy is only part of the problem.

"I think one concern the musicians have is that sometimes people don't know we're playing concerts," said Boodell, who suggested the orchestra needs more of a push in booking concerts and advertising.

The Richmond Symphony Orchestra opened its season last month, and continues to play concerts and perform at local schools, without a final contract. As far as this holiday season goes, the musicians say they intend on playing the popular Nutcracker show. However, they feel the overall future of the Richmond Symphony Orchestra may be on an uncertain path.    

"The musicians won't stay here if we don't have a salary that's a living wage," said Boodell.

"People are starting to take auditions elsewhere. It's just the reality," continued Sharp.

The musicians say they're being forced to take a one-week furlough next week. During that time, they plan to perform on street corners to raise support from the community.

Copyright 2012 wwbt nbc12. All rights reserved.

  • Latest news from NBC12.comNEWSMore>>

  • Federal government notifies 21 states of election hacking

    Federal government notifies 21 states of election hacking

    Friday, September 22 2017 5:16 PM EDT2017-09-22 21:16:26 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 10:27 AM EDT2017-09-23 14:27:15 GMT
    The federal government is telling election officials in 21 states that hackers targeted their systems last year, although in most cases the systems were not breached.More >>
    The federal government is telling election officials in 21 states that hackers targeted their systems last year, although in most cases the systems were not breached.More >>
  • Petersburg Police investigate homicide of 16-year-old boy

    Petersburg Police investigate homicide of 16-year-old boy

    Saturday, September 23 2017 10:13 AM EDT2017-09-23 14:13:50 GMT
    Police are investigating a homicide, after they found a teen boy dead in Petersburg. It happened around 4:50 a.m. Saturday, in the 1100 block of West High Street, near the intersection of Bluefield Street. Police say the 16-year-old male victim was already dead when they got to the scene. Police have not said how that boy died. If you have any information on this case, call Petersburg/Dinwiddie Crime Solvers at (804) 861-1212.

    More >>

    Police are investigating a homicide, after they found a teen boy dead in Petersburg. It happened around 4:50 a.m. Saturday, in the 1100 block of West High Street, near the intersection of Bluefield Street. Police say the 16-year-old male victim was already dead when they got to the scene. Police have not said how that boy died. If you have any information on this case, call Petersburg/Dinwiddie Crime Solvers at (804) 861-1212.

    More >>

  • Man charged in deadly Petersburg triple shooting

    Man charged in deadly Petersburg triple shooting

    Saturday, September 23 2017 9:53 AM EDT2017-09-23 13:53:20 GMT
    Petersburg Police say a man, who they originally thought was a victim in a triple shooting, is now a suspect. On September 17, officers found three men shot at the intersection of Harding and Mistletoe Streets. Two of the men were med-flighted to VCU Medical Center with life-threatening wounds, and one of them, 34-year-old Delqukis Ruffin, has since died from his injuries. Police say 20-year-old Danzel J'Quan Reeves, was also shot, and after investigating, officers charged him with...More >>
    Petersburg Police say a man, who they originally thought was a victim in a triple shooting, is now a suspect. On September 17, officers found three men shot at the intersection of Harding and Mistletoe Streets. Two of the men were med-flighted to VCU Medical Center with life-threatening wounds, and one of them, 34-year-old Delqukis Ruffin, has since died from his injuries. Police say 20-year-old Danzel J'Quan Reeves, was also shot, and after investigating, officers charged him with...More >>
Powered by Frankly