Detectives give inside look at unsolved homicide - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Detectives give inside look at unsolved homicide


Tuesday night, Richmonders gathered on the north side to remember Quinton Conyers. The 20-year-old was gunned down last month in an alley near Moss Side Avenue. Detectives still don't know who killed him.

The vigil for Quinton, or "Q" as he's known around the neighborhood, was part of the National Day of Remembrance for Murder Victims. Police have been working Q's case since mid-August but have hit dead ends. They gave NBC12 an exclusive inside look at the crime scene.

Just after 9 p.m. August 16, officers arrived in the alley after someone called 911. They found Quinton Conyers with multiple gunshots wounds.

Around him, the ground was littered with belongings, like headphones and change.

There are some indications this whole thing may have started further down the alley. Items possibly belonging to Q were found there, but detectives have no solid information on that aspect.

But that's it; that's all they find. Det. Young said there's no other evidence in the alley.

"It makes it extremely difficult for us," he said. "The reality of it is this is one of those cases where, without the help of the community and without the help of people in the neighborhood, it's going to be extremely difficult to solve."

Police interviewed people who live in the houses that back up to the alley, friends and family. Young said they were all surprised this happened and that it happened to Quinton.

According to police, there's no one who would have wanted Quinton dead.

"That is the universal thing that everybody has said, that he didn't bother anybody, he got along with everybody," Young maintained.

At this point, detectives think robbery was the motive but they're unsure because they don't know what happened during the last thirty minutes of Q's life.

"It was our understanding that he did have some money when he left his brother but we don't know if we spent it somewhere else," Young added.

Police say they're not at a standstill in the investigation just yet but are getting close to that point. They are waiting for lab reports to come back and witnesses to come forward. If you know anything, call Crime Stoppers at 780-1000.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly