Chesterfield Fire responded to a one-alarm fire at a retirement apartment complex Thursday evening.
It happened at 'The Atlantic at Charter Colony' at Woolridge and Coalfield roads.
Chesterfield Fire Chief Dawson said there was a small fire in one of the residence rooms caused by "smoking materials" in a trash can. It was quickly put out by the automatic sprinkler system.
One person was transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
About a dozen apartments could not be reoccupied, mostly because of water or smoke damage. Residents were put up in a local hotel by apartment management.
Fire officials say they are glad the sprinkler system was in place because this could have been much worse.
Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.
WWBT-TV NBC 12
P.O. Box 12
On Your Side
Video and Pics